Craft in America Center Education Coordinator
The Craft in America Center seeks an Education Coordinator to manage its education outreach program, Craft in Schools, with local K-12 underserved students, and to help maintain and manage the small museum’s operations with a multitude of other projects.
Craft in America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the exploration, preservation, and celebration of the handmade and its impact on our nation’s cultural heritage. The Center is a museum and programmatic space with a library located on Third Street in the heart of Los Angeles. The Center generates rotating contemporary craft exhibitions (physical & virtual), research, lectures, education outreach, publications, and hands-on art workshops. Craft in America produces a Peabody Award-winning and on-going PBS documentary series. Visit www.craftinamerica.org for more information about the organization.
The Education Coordinator is articulate, friendly, and organized. The Coordinator will have experience teaching students at various grade levels and working knowledge of standards-based art education practices. Knowledge of the contemporary crafts movement is a plus. An undergraduate degree in art history, museum studies, art education, studio art, or a related field is required. The Coordinator should have strong verbal and written communication skills. The Center has a small team and the candidate must be hardworking, detail-oriented, excellent at multitasking, tech savvy, resourceful, and flexible. The nature of the position involves various additional aspects of museum operations including but not limited to: collections management, library management, and exhibition planning and implementation.
Regular tasks and responsibilities include:
- Developing, writing, and facilitating standards-based lesson plans for site/virtual visits and workshops
- Administering virtual meetings and webinars with students and public
- Coordinating logistics, scheduling, and communicating with artists, educators, administrators and
- transportation companies
- Creating and implementing hands-on activities for children
- Assisting with event/program management and planning
- Interacting and engaging with in-person visitors
- Writing and posting social media and website content
- Assisting with exhibition logistics including loan agreements and shipping
- Assisting with deinstallation and installation
- Maintaining contact and library databases
- This is a part time position that entails working some Saturdays each month
- Involves intermittent travel to participating local school sites
- Requires moving/lifting up to 40 lbs. of weight
- Salary commensurate with experience, $18-25 hourly
Please submit a cover letter, cv and short writing sample to: email@example.com