Harvey K. Littleton (1922-2013) was a glass artist and educator, who is considered a pioneer in the Studio Glass Movement.
His work ranged from functional vessels to sculptural forms. His father was a physicist at Corning Glass Works so he had early exposure to glass in the factories. Trained as a ceramicist, he began experimenting with hot glass in his studio in 1959. Through two landmark workshops and by establishing the first Studio Glass curriculum at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, he helped to bring glass out of the factory and into the artists’ studio.
He attended Brighton School of Art in England, received his Bachelors of Design at the University of Michigan, and received his M.F.A. from Cranbrook Academy of Art. His work can be found in the collection of the High Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution, the Victoria & Albert Museum in England, among others.