Mary Chase Perry Stratton (1867-1961) was a potter. She founded Pewabic Pottery in 1903. Under her leadership, Pewabic Pottery produced vessels, lamps, architectural tiles, known for its iridescent glazes used in churches, schools, libraries, the Shedd Aquarium, the Nebraska State Capitol, and the Herald Square in New York as well as in the collections of the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Freer Gallery.
Today Pewabic Pottery has been designated as a National Historic Landmark and is Michigan’s only historic pottery. She taught and established the ceramics department at the University of Michigan and taught also at Wayne State University. She received the highest award in the ceramic field, the Charles Fergus Binns Medal in 1947. She worked at the pottery until she died at the age of 94 in 1961. Today Pewabic Pottery offers classes, workshops, lectures, internships and residency programs for potters of all ages.
Mary Chase Perry Stratton at Cranbrook, 1916, Courtesy of Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, MI and Copyright Cranbrook Archives